Developing Astronomical Skills in Nepal
Developing Astronomical Skills in Nepal (DASN) is our new initiative to motivate undergraduate students to develop their research skills in science via their project works in space science/astronomy/astrophysics, etc and help them during their project/research work.
DASN Nepal first implemented in Nepal in 2018 and the momentum it has created in the scientific community is remarkable! Click here to access some of the project works of our summer school students at DASN. With the success of the DASN, we propose to implement follow-up of the project as DASN2.0 during 2020 and beyond.
If you want to support or establish partnership/collaboration with this initiative, please feel free to contact our office for further discussion.
- September 2019: Some of the projects by the summer school students are now online. Click here to access their work and share your feedback.
- July 2019: Students are submitting the final versions of the B.Sc. Thesis/ Project Report to the university/campus.
- June 2019: Students have submitted the draft of the projects for the final defense.
- September 13, 2018: More than 25 assignments received on different topics from the summer school graduates.
- September 5, 2018: We signed a MoU with Damak Multiple Campus, Jhapa for the capacity building for undergraduate students and faculties on A &A and space science research.
- August 1, 2018: Assignment submission deadline has been extended till September 12, 2018.
- July 7, 2018: Summer School on Astronomy & Space Science held at Southwestern State College, Basundhara. Assignments due till July 31, 2018.
- June 29, 2018: Dr. Sanjaya Paudel delivered a Public Talk on ‘How Common Are we? ‘ at Amrit Science College, Lainchaur, Kathmandu.
- June 27, 2018: Final program schedule is now available. Click here for the schedule.
- June 23, 2018: Fifteen students selected for the summer school to be held in Kathmandu, Nepal during July 1-6, 2018. Click here for the result.
- March 10, 2018: We received a total of 58 reports and currently evaluating them. Selected list of students for the summer school will be available soon.
- March 1, 2018: Talk on ‘Astronomy & Astrophysics Research Activities in Nepal’ delivered by Mr. Devendra Raj Upadhyay, Assistant Professor at Amrit Campus, Thamel (Tribhuvan University) is now available. Click here!
- March 1, 2018: Talk on ‘Atmosphere here and there: Satellite to observe it everywhere!’ delivered by Mr. Prashant Singh, Ph.D. Fellow, Atmospheric Initiative, International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is now available. Click here!
- February 27, 2018: Today’s talk on ‘ From CDP to any DP’ by Dr. Prajwal Raj Kafle, Post Doctoral Research Fellow at International Center for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR), University of Western Australia and member of our Scientific Advisory Committee is now available now in our youtube channel. Click here!
- February 27, 2018: Today’s talk on ‘ Introduction to Galaxy Science’ by Dr. Sanjaya Paudel, Post Doctoral Research Fellow at Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea and member of our Scientific Advisory Committee is now available in our youtube channel. Click here!.
- February 27, 2018: Total of 83 students participated at today’s workshop! Thanks to all the faculties from Damak Multiple Campus, Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus, Amrit Science Campus (ASCOL) and Prithvi Narayan Campus for their active presence!
- February 26, 2018: Program schedule for the workshop at NAST has been released now. Click here!
- February 25, 2018: Travel Grant Recipients has been announced now! Click here!
- February 25, 2018: Selected list of students is now available. Click here!
- February 24, 2018: Registration has been closed now! Confirming the status of the students with respective colleges/faculties for the final list of participants!
- February 20, 2018: Glocal Khabar Online published the feature article/news about the workshop. For more, please visit: https://goo.gl/puaJU4
- February 19, 2018: Ujyaalo Online published news about the workshop. Please visit: https://goo.gl/nYjAhs
- February 19, 2018: Peacepokhara.com published news about the workshop. Please visit: https://goo.gl/tCW2QX
- February 14, 2018: Registration open for the ‘Workshop in Astronomy & Astrophysics Research’! Application deadline is February 23, 2018! Apply now!
The main objective of this project is to provide a research opportunity in astronomy/astrophysics as a part of their curriculum to undergraduate students in Nepal. The project will be implemented in different stages:
- February 27, 2018: ‘Workshop in Astronomy and Astrophysics Research’ will be held at Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), Khumaltar, Lalitpur, Nepal. For registration, click here. Registration deadline is February 23, 2018. Note: Limited partial/full travel grant is available for deserving students. Women are especially encouraged to apply!
- July 1-6, 2018: Summer School on Astronomy and Space science will be held at Southwestern State College (SWSC), Bashundhara, Kathmandu, Nepal. Click here for the schedule.
July-December 2019: Thesis/Journal Publications- Student will be supported for the publication of their research work in one of the peer-reviewed journal as possible.
~~~ If you need any information about this initiative, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org ~~~